Sunday 18 March 2012

Race #2 of the Season - 32 Mile Ultra Marathon - Haworth Hobble

Date 10th March, 2012

The following data was recorded by my Runmeter and inclusive of stoppage time at Checkpoints.
Distance: 32.08 Miles
Race Time: 7:55
Calories Burned: 4384
Ascent: 4621 feet
Descent: 4658 feet


Haworth Hobble Ultra Marathon
http://kcac.co.uk/kcac-events/haworth-hobble/


The following information was taken from the Haworth Hobble website.

About the race

A 32 mile Ultra Marathon traversing Gritstone Moors around Haworth, Todmorden and Hebden Bridge with over 4,400 ft of Ascent  & Descent. Maximum time allowed 11 hours to complete the event
 
Route information

Start from Main Street, Fleece Inn, Haworth, G.R. 032372, up the cobbled road, out along Cemetery Road towards footpath/road junction G.R. 018362 to Far Intake and Bronte Bridge. Cross the bridge and head for Top Withens. Take the Pennine Way to the Widdop Road. Go up the road,(S1) round Widdop Reservoir and join the Limersgate track past the Yorkshire/Lancashire boundary 915321 continuing West on bridleway to 898323 (S2) then turn SW to Hurstwood Reservoir dam wall. From there go via Cant Clough dam wall into the Sheddon Clough area, using improved paths (not shown on the South Pennines Leisure map). (PLEASE DO NOT RUN/WALK ALONG THE PARTLY COVERED PIPELINE) use the paths to the car park at Long Causeway (S3) at 894288. Follow road to the first bend at 904284 follow footpath (not the farm track) past Stiperden House Farm to road then to Stoney Lane Checkpoint (S4) at 914274. Go down Stoney Lane following it to the back of the Golf Course to the Cross Stone Inn and take the steep, narrow, walled footpath past the back of the church, to the main road @ 950245. Go along the road to Lumbutts and 100 metres past the Mill join the footpath at 951243, which starts behind a row of cottages.This zig zags steeply up the hill leading to a long wall. Climb the fence at the style and cross field diagonally, then follow the wall on right, over style to a lane, then along the lane to Mankinholes Y.H. (S5) Left on track by water troughs until beneath Stoodley Pike, climb steep path to the Monument (S6), down Pennine Way along the track above Callis Wood to road, and down steep hill to Hebble End. Across the busy A646T (carefully!) 20 metres up the road to small cobbled lane leading to steep steps and a road which climbs steeply into Heptonstall. Turn right at the first pub in Heptonstall (S7) and down the tarmac lane. Cross the road to join a narrow walled path which drops steeply to Horse Bridge (S8). From there follow bridleway past Hollin Hall onto packhorse track which leads downhill to cross Crimsworth Dene (S9). Then climb the tarmac lane which eventually leads to Top O't Stairs. Follow the track dropping down to Leeshaw Reservoir, up Moorside Lane to 020362, turn right and cross the Penistone Hill to 026369 footpath/road junction, drop for 300m bear left on footpath towards church. Coming out onto Main Street turn right down the cobbled road, opposite The Fleece bear left, cross the main road (on the crossing please) and so to Haworth Primary School (S10)
Google map link

It was 3:30 am when my alarm clock had sounded and after stumbling down the stairs with a slight hangover. I prepared myself a strong cup of black coffee and I carefully pack my running day sack. With this been a winter Ultra Marathon, I always prepare my kit for the worst scenario. My running kit included; OS Map, Compass, Whistle, GPS, Bivi Bag, Silver Foil Wrap, Mobile Phone, Full Waterproofs and lots of high in Carbohydrate snacks.
My running snacks included Banana, Peanut Butter, Nutella and Jam Sandwiches. My pre race breakfast was Cumberland Pie and Chocolate Coated Coffee Beans  - hmmm  "delicious".
At 4:30 am I performed my usual daily exercises, 85 Burpeese and 90 Crunches. Yippee !!! Bring on the Ultra Race, the Enduarance Runner is ready for action.
My Running Snacks and Pre-race Breakfast.

After registration at the primary school, I joined my fellow runners for the start of the race.




Picking up "Bronte Way" track, passing "The Slack" on my left and heading towards "Lower Laithe" reservoir.







Running along the "Pennine Way towards "Walshaw Dean Lower" reservoir.






A quick photograph with "Stoodley Pike Monument" in the back group. My ascent to the summit of the hill  was quick and easy, following in the wake of my new Ultra running buddy - Jenny Gibbs. Wait for me Jenny !!!!


Chilling out with my buddy at the end of the race with Ultramarathon Man -  Dave Heatherington. I wonder where he got that flat cap from, anybody seen his whippet !!!

 



On behalf of all my fellow runners and myself. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all Volunteers, Marshalls, Kitchen Staff. Management and Club Members. For there kind hospitality and professionalism shown throughout the entire event. This was a great day to be enjoyed by all.

Thank you...
I have challenged myself to compete in one of Scotland's most famous 54 mile Ultra Marathons. Where I intend to raise funds for my chosen charity for 2012 - "Pawz for Thought". For further details on the charity's good work and how you could help to support there ongoing efforts, then please click on the above charity's website link.







My chosen charity for 2012
"Pawz for Thought"

“Keep on Running & Be Inspired”
Darren Barnes
Follow my running activities on Twitter @enduranceruner




No comments:

Post a Comment